Picking the right lipstick for your skin tone
Just like every other lady out there, there must have been times when you find yourself staring at the shelves of lipstick, feeling confused, and lost with no idea which one will be perfect for you. Well, you are not alone. This happens to almost everyone.
Most times, there are many different undertones, consistencies, finishes and many other factors that you need to consider which makes makeup look like a chore. The key is to master which lipstick is perfect for your skin tone. To do this, there are a few key guidelines you need to learn, once you master these guidelines, it becomes much easier.
Most times, ladies choose a lipstick because their favorite celebrities wear the same lipstick (shade). What looks perfect on Rihanna or Beyonce may not always work for you.
Your lipstick will look out-of-place if it is clashing with your skin tone. In this article, you will learn some key guidelines for choosing the perfect lipstick for your skin tone. Keep on reading to find out more:
Top 5 Tips For Choosing the Right Lipstick For Your Skin Tone
1. Identify Your Skin Tone
If you want to step out looking stunning in your lipstick, the first thing you have to do is to determine your skin tone. There are five main types of skin complexion which include light, fair, medium, tan, and deep. You probably fall into one of these categories. To find out which category you belong to, concentrate on the skin around your jawline.
If you have a fair or light skin tone, go for lipstick shades such as peach, coral, nude, light pink, and dusty red colors. For ladies who belong to “Medium” category, you will look great when you wear lipstick shades such as cherry red, berry, rose, and mauve. On the other hand, deep pink, rock coral, and bright red are recommended for those with “Tan” skin tone. However, if you are Tan, make sure you stay away from brown and purple shades.
2. Determine Your Skin Undertone
The reason why your lipstick may look out of place is probably because you don’t consider your skin undertone when choosing a lipstick. The fact is that everyone’s skin has undertones. This undertone can either be pink or yellow. Understanding your skin undertones is very important when determining which lipsticks look best on you.
An easy trick to identifying your skin undertone is to look at the veins on your wrist. If these veins are green, you likely have a warmer yellow undertone. If they appear bluer, it means you have a pink undertone and lipstick shades such as whites, blues, and grays are recommended for you. However, if the veins appear to be both green and blue, it means you have a neutral skin tone (lucky you) and you can probably wear any color you want.
Other classification of skin undertone includes Cool, Warm, and Neutral. Below, we have made a list of lipstick shades that will look great on you based on your skin undertone.
- Cool Undertones (Pale Skin): If you have this skin undertone, consider pink, or strawberry-red. You can also go for any cool, blue-red or nudes with a beige base.
- Neutral Undertones (Medium Skin): Mauve plums, rosy pinks, and nudes with a pink undertone will make you look great.
- Neutral Undertones (Olive Skin): This skin undertone looks great in peaches, corals, and warm orange-reds.
- Warm Undertones (Darker Skin): We will recommend you go for a lipstick with deep browns and plums shades.
3. Consider the Shape of Your Lips
Many people tend to ignore the shape of their lips when choosing a lipstick. It is a mistake you would rather avoid. The shape of your lips also plays a role in how a lipstick shade looks on you. The shape of your lips can be Top Heavy, Bottom Heavy, Asymmetrical, Thin, and Plump Lips.
- Plump lips: Make sure you don’t use lipsticks that are too glossy or light.
- Thin Lips: Using dark and flashy lipstick shades will make your lips appear thinner. Avoid them and go for creamy lipsticks.
- Bottom Heavy Lips: You can probably use any color that matches your undertone. Also, add a little bit of light nude color in the center of the upper lip.
- Top Heavy Lips: The best lipstick for you is a bright color on the bottom of the lips. On the upper lip, apply a slightly darker shade of the same color.
- Asymmetrical Lips: For people with this lip shape, make use of a lip pencil in a shade that looks similar to the lipstick color to outline the lips.
4. Try Out Different Lipsticks
It is not always easy to figure out your skin undertone. If you are not sure yet, one trick is to try various lipsticks shades that you think will look great with your complexion until you figure out which one is best for you.
After testing each lipstick, clean the tester with a little alcohol and use a cotton swab to apply the color to your lips. Keep on testing until you figure out which lipstick is the best for your skin tone.
Plus, visit the talented makeup artists at Currie Hair, Skin and Nails who are happy to help you find our perfect shade, and also offer makeup instructions to teach you all the tricks for your best makeup look!