Keep a Clean Cosmetic Bag
Here are a few simple tips to keep everything in order:
-Discard all broken products.
-Discard all products beyond their use-by date.
It is always a good idea to write down when you purchase an item; some products last longer than others, and who really remembers when they bought something over a month ago? And if you aren’t sure, check the expiration date on the package! But here are a few simple rules to go by:
- Mascara: about three-four months after opening. If you use it a lot it may be that it doesn’t even last three months.
- All texture products in powder form such as shadow, matte powders and foundation -last about two years.
- Foundation in cream form, correctors, shadows in cream form: these last about a year and a half.
- Lipsticks: about two years.
- Lipgloss: about two years. See when the color or texture changes; it is possible that if you have exposed it to temperature changes then it may have gone off.
- Face creams and cleansers have different shelf lives, depending on their ingredients- They can last from 3 to 12 or 24 months.
Clean all your products with a damp towel, and dry them with a soft cloth. They will come out looking new.
Don’t forget to clean all your brushes, and you’ll see how much easier it is to put makeup on. Here’s how:
Natural hair brushes:
- Clean them with a mild shampoo, with a neutral fragrance.
- Rinse them in cold or lukewarm water (avoid using hot water)
- Apply an intensive hair conditioner
- Allow it to take effect for a few minutes.
- Rinse again, until you are sure there is no remaining soap.
- Clean your synthetic-hair brushes with a grease-removing product, such as washing liquid.
- Rinse them in lukewarm water and ensure there is no remaining soap.
TIP: Always leave your brushes to dry on a towel; never let them dry vertically in a cup, as in this case the water would enter the brush’s handle and ruin it.
New sponges and powder puffs:
Buy new sponges and powder puffs. They are very accessible and you will feel as though you are trying out a whole range of products for the first time.
Wash your cosmetic bag in a washing machine, if the material and shape allow it. Otherwise clean it with a damp sponge and eliminate all left-over pencil shavings, broken pencils, bits of makeup, etc.
If you can, buy yourself a new cosmetic bag with separate compartments so as to keep all your makeup products in order they’ll last longer this way.