Acne Awareness Month: How Acne Starts And Its Possible Treatments
Acne awareness month lets you know the importance of taking care of your skin and how important it is to nip acne in the bud for good. Here are some possible causes of acne and its treatments that will help to reduce the appearance of pigmentation, scarring and pimples.
What Is Acne?
Acne is the appearance and formation of red pimples and discoloration on the skin. Acne can cause a lot of redness and form tiny bumps on the skin. Acne is one of those skin problems which can occur at any time and at any age. It happens when the natural oil secretions become too much and the oil begins to clog your skin and follicles. This causes your skin to become blocked and there is no room for the skin to breathe.
You should remember that your skin is a living organ and it needs to breathe in order to remain healthy and supple. There are small and virtually invisible pores in your skin from where the skin breathes and absorbs vital minerals and moisture. When there is a lot of blockages in the pores of the skin, your skin can become damaged and it will show by producing a lot of red pimples and pigmentation on the skin. This condition, to a severe degree, is known as acne.
Many will start to experience acne when reaching their teenage years, especially when there is hormonal balance occurring in the body. The body is getting used to adolescence and there might be quite a bit of hormonal issues going on, which can trigger acne.
How Would I Know It’s Acne?
Now that you know what acne is, let’s talk about some of its causes and how it’s caused.
- The main culprit of possibly triggering acne in young boys and girls are hormones. When you grow and hit puberty, there are a lot of hormonal changes going on in your body, which can show on the skin in the form of acne. Similarly, when women are pregnant, they are also going through several hormonal changes which can trigger cystic acne, which is a higher and more severe degree of acne.
- Bacteria and unclean skin are also two factors that are the triggers of severe acne. When your pores get clogged, it is mainly due to the presence of dirt and sebum in them. If you are not cleaning your skin properly to open up your pores it can cause a lot of acne on your skin.
- Several medications like contraceptive pills and birth control pills can cause hormonal changes in your body which can show on your skin as acne.
- A bad diet and too much consumption of fat-rich foods can also cause a lot of acne. Sometimes, people consume too many dairy products which can cause a lot of breakouts on the skin.
- Women who suffer from PCOS also suffer from cystic acne along their face and jaw.
What Are The Treatments For Acne?
With the causes and triggers of acne out of the way, let’s talk about the treatment of acne and how you can get rid of it.
- What you eat shows on your skin, so it’s a good idea to change up your diet when it comes to clearing acne. This will take a lot of time, but you will see the results eventually. Having a balanced diet, filled with greens, vitamin A and C, minerals and zinc will help to improve your skin.
- Keeping your skin clean and moisturized at all times will help to prevent excess oil formation and will unclog your pores.
- Drinking tons of water helps to flush out the toxins, dirt and sebum from your body.
- Using medicated creams that are specially designed for reducing acne can help as well.
- Utilize skincare products geared towards acne and get facials specifically targeted to acne-prone skin.
- There is an oral medication for acne as well.
There you have it! Now that you know the potential causes of acne, you can tackle them and hopefully prevent acne from occurring in the long run. Remember, it’s always the food you eat and the way you take care of your skin.